Google PageRank Checker - Page Rank Calculator

Friday, August 17, 2007

Morning folks. After alluding to it in yesterday's replies I'm going to explain the hard choice I had to make, and what I am about to do.

When I took Dixie I realized the responsibility, and promised myself that I would do right by her. In the 5 weeks I've had her we've grown attached and her welfare is utmost in my mind. With what I have facing me in the next few weeks I simply can't put her through it.


I can say that I'll just leave her for 2 or 3 days, but realistically that is not the way it would go. Each trip would take 2 days of just travelling, plus 2 or 3 days there, multiplied by at least 2 or 3 trips, so that by the time everything was done the poor thing wouldn't know where she belonged.


I spent some time yesterday with the older, retired, bachelor (hmm, who does that sound like?) who offered to help, and watched the interaction between he and Dixie. From what I was able to learn about him, and what I saw, I knew what I had to do.


So tomorrow morning I will fulfill my promise, because I have found her a permanent, loving home, not the semi-nomadic life she would have with me. He just lost a Jack Russell, and almost had tears in his eyes when she jumped up on his lap. So did I.


I mentioned how much she likes having the grass around here to run on, well her new home, 8 miles out of town, has 35 fenced acres where she can run freely. I made sure he understood that she was not to be left out at night, and he assured me that she would have the run of the house, including sleeping on the bed if she chooses.


I have not seen the house or property yet, but when I do I'll take pictures and post them. Michael tells me that it is something special. I won't give the fellow's name, but he told me I could come around and check on her whenever I wanted. I don't think I'll do that, it would just further confuse her.


If I had had Dixie for 5 months instead of 5 weeks I wouldn't consider doing this. But Kate made a good point yesterday about dog's memories. I saw it happen with me, and considering the wonderful home she's going to, I'm positive it will happen again.


I'm going to be sorry to see her go, but glad for where she's going. She's a wonderful companion, but deserves a permanent home. Since he's not a traveller like me, the poor thing won't have to go through what she did getting her this far.


I have agonized over this but feel I'm doing the right thing for her. I have lived my life on the road, but it is not fair to drag a dog along that hates travelling just so that I can have a companion. What it is, is selfishness.

Hope you all understand that I truly feel it is the best thing for her.


Trucker Bob Image hosting by Photobucket blogged at 3:48 AM

|
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com